Applications for this opportunity have now closed.
Wrecking Ball Music & Books is hiring! We have an exciting position as Bookseller based within our city-centre independent book and music shop on Whitefriargate. This is a great opportunity to join a growing team at one of Hull’s most exciting retail outlets and venues.
Initially offered on a six-month, fixed-term contract, and with a competitive salary, we’d love the right person to join us in March 2022 and interviews will be held at the beginning of March.
For more information, read the job description below.
Wrecking Ball Music & Books – Bookseller
Wrecking Ball Music & Books’ Bookseller has the knowledge and enthusiasm to drive book sales forward, engage with the public and increase sales.
Based at the large, independent Wrecking Ball Music & Books shop in Hull city centre, our dedicated Bookseller is responsible for providing guidance and literary insight to customers wishing to learn more about the books on sale, an extensive range of books from UK independent publishers.
In addition, the Bookseller will be responsible for arranging promotional events, such as in-store signings, author readings and in-store literary events.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities of the post
Your primary concern as a Bookseller is customer service, but you’ll also need an excellent knowledge of the UK’s independent publishers, the shop’s stock and the wider book market in general. You’ll help customers locate titles and offer information and advice about different books that are available. You’ll also be heavily involved in selecting, ordering and displaying stock, as well as working with publishing companies and their representatives.
Our stock of literature encompasses all forms and genres and our Bookseller is expected to have a deep understanding and knowledge of the widest possible range of literature and should be a self-confessed and proud bibliophile and poetry lover.
Our Bookseller needs to be confident when talking and communicating with the public, publishing companies and their representatives and writers involved in delivering events and activities. You should also be experienced and comfortable in the use of social media platforms as a marketing and promotional tool. A self starter, you will be brimming with ideas for potential events and in-store literary activity and relish the opportunity to have a lead role in organising events, supported by Wrecking Ball team members with extensive event experience.
- serving a range of customers
- dealing with enquiries and identifying customer needs
- offering advice and recommending books where appropriate
- maintaining up-to-date knowledge of current titles and changes in the market
- organising in-store events with authors and poets.
- promoting in-store and venue events and activities via social media platforms
- undertaking bibliographic work using computer or print sources to identify and locate titles
- processing customer orders and book reservations
- dealing with mail order, email and web-based orders
- handling payments by cash, card and using book tokens using electronic point of sale (EPOS) technology
- buying from catalogues and publishers’ representatives
- negotiating prices with sellers
- processing book deliveries and returns
- stock-checking books and other merchandise
- creating in-store and window displays
- maintaining commercial awareness including identifying business and promotional opportunities
- liaising with other external account holders, for example schools, councils and companies
- reviewing sales performance
- a range of administration tasks
- undertaking general housekeeping duties, such as unpacking, stock replenishment and tidying.
This position is funded by Arts Council England.